Monday, March 8, 2010

unit 5 mental fitness practice

**approximately 4.05 minutes into my cd it went fuzzy and never returned to an audible sound so my blog is based on 4 minutes.

There are a couple of comparisons between the two exercises, the most obvious is the breathing and to focus, as well as the way we breathe, inhale and exhale. I did feel while listening to this track that the voices on here were a bit more demanding and less relaxing. There were a few references on the cd that follow right allow with the book (Dacher) as far as acknowledging the distractions but not to allow your mind to attach to them. I would have to say my only frustration with this exercise from what I had heard is with the voices being more abrupt, it wasn’t as easy as it should be, personally, to really focus and relax. I have found that since the beginning of this course and listening to different relaxation methods that I am able to calm myself quickly and I am learning to relax on a deeper level, I am able to let my mind wonder and actually use that situation as a type of meditation for me which is nice.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I had the same experience with the CD except I could not hear for almost 30 minutes afterwards. The headphones blew out my eardrums when the static started.

    I think if our professor was the voice, I would do much better. The voices are not working for me either. What I am getting out of it is the technique and quietly able to practice on my own for a few minutes without the text or the voices. I prefer the breathing exercises to the loving kindness exercise. I have a much easier time quieting my busy head this way.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, well, i have to agree with you that i have learned through these exercises that i can calm my mind a bit more. Just like any fitness routine, we have to keep at it knowing that we may be weak now but if we continue we will flourish towards mental well being

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI,

    This week's exercise was better but still not great. since you have been having issues embracing the practices of this class I would suggest to you that you try yoga. I like to suggest yoga to as many people as possible. The practice is not strenuous, but like this exercise a lot of focus is put on breath and slightly pushing the body to its comfort levels. I think that when we do this we are able to briefly disconnect the mind and body, but when the connection returns it is much stronger then ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry you had a time with your cd. I know that can be frustrating! I think that it is great that you have found ways to calm and relax yourself since you have started this class. I too have found joy in this class and just embracing how to calm the mind. I know my mind races so much and sometimes it is hard to get it to stop. And when there is a few min. of quite time, I end up falling asleep... lol Thank you for sharing with us how this class has helped you.

    ReplyDelete